Can FindMinimum work with complex starting values

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39014] Can FindMinimum work with complex starting values
  • From: Vesna Damljanovic <damljano at uiuc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:07:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to minimize a nonlinear function of 15 variables using
FindMinimum.  The function is basically a CHIsquare regression for a
problem I am studying that looks something like this:

CHIsquare=Abs[Sum(Sum(A_m * x_m * E^(-i * B_n * y_m)))]^2
                           m      n

where:
     Sums go over all m's (# of independent variables,15 of them) and n's
(# of my data points) respectively
     x's and y's are the variables w.r.t which I want to minimize the
function <-- I must assign them COMPLEX starting values
     A's and B's are COMPLEX valued constants

Becasue of Abs and ^2, my CHIsquare will always be REAL but when I try
using all this, it does not work - I get a message:
      "Starting value is not a real number"
for the first variable to which I gave complex starting value.

Is there some way to minimize my function that allows for complex values of
variables?

Thanks
Vesna