Square Roots in Z

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39093] Square Roots in Z
  • From: "flip" <flip_alpha at safebunch.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 03:36:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

Can Mathematica solve this problem symbolically?

Let p and q be odd primes.

Use the Chinese Remainder Theorem to express the four square roots of 1 in
Z/pq.

Find them explicitly when q = 2*p + 1.

I am really interested in the specific case qith q = 2*p + 1 (I was just
curious of there is some way in Mathematica to do that).

Thank you for any guidance.

To email me remove "_alpha1" from the given address.