Derivative help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39139] Derivative help
  • From: "Steve Chiang" <stevezx at attbi.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:36:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, all.  I'm new to Mathematica.  I went to the help section for my
question but it only further confused me.  I'm basically trying to take the
first derivative of (ln(x))^x.  Here is my syntax: f = (ln(x))^x.  But then
when I evaluate f ', it says nothing but ((ln(x))^x)' which is nothing new.
Is this because I didn't specify bounds and that the function may be
discontinuous over the default bounds in Mathematica?

Thanks