Re: Mathematica fonts are not properly installed version=2.55

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42327] Re: [mg42313] Mathematica fonts are not properly installed version=2.55
  • From: Bob Walker <walkerbg at attbi.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:45:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hatim Hegab wrote:

>Hi,
>I have tried to install mathematica 4.0 on my RedHAT 7.3 Linux (I also
>have 8.0 and 9.0, but I was advised to use 7.3) but I was faced with
>the an error message that says that my fonts are not properly
>installed! I am not sure if I can deal with this problem, any help
>will be appreciated.
>
>Also, when I ignored these errors, I could get a notebook and I tried
>mathematica as a calculator to see if it will work, it did (with some
>peeps) but both my delete and backspace buttons do not work. They work
>as a space bar! I can't delete any letter I may type by mistake, what
>should I do?
>
>PS.
>I made a search over the whole internet and could not find a solution.
>Please help me.
>
>Hatim

Hatim,
I had a similar problem with Redhat 8.  I didn't have all your symptoms
but it may be the same problem.

The following is a quote of ms31003 from the MathGroup Archive 2001,
written by J.P. Hinton.  I too
searched long and hard to find this.

>>In determining the fonts available to the X server, the front end uses the
>>standard Xlib function XListFonts().  This function requires an argument
>>that specifies the maximum number of fonts to be returned by the call.
>>The front end does not know a-priori how many fonts there are, so it uses
>>a number specified in a front end configuration file.  The setting resides
>>in SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/X/Specific.tr, and it looks
>>something like this.

>>@@resource maxForXListFonts
>>2000

>>Changing this number to a higher value will increase the number of fonts
>>returned by the call, but it also increases the memory requirements of the
>>front end.

>>At the time this file was first written, 2000 was a reasonable value.  As
>>time has progressed, Linux distributions have increased the number of
>>possible fonts that can be installed, primarily for the purposes of
>>supporting a wide number of locales.  If one does an
>>everything-but-the-kitchen-sink install, there's a good chance that the
>>number of fonts will far exceed this value.  You may need to edit this
>>file and increase the number.  Future releases of Mathematica will use a
>>much larger value.

>>--
>>P.J. Hinton
>>User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
>>Wolfram Research, Inc.
>>Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are those of the author alone.

You can determine the number of fonts on your system by issuing the following linux command line

xlsfonts | grep ".*" -c

xlsfonts lists the fonts, one per line, thus grep -c will count them.
If you have a lot, this will several seconds.

Compare the number of fonts counted with the number in the file Specific.tr referenced
above by J.P. Hinton.  If the number in Specific.tr is greater than your font count
then you have a different problem
otherwise update Specific.tr to have a slightly higher number then restart mathematica.

Good luck
Bob Walker