Re: Sqrt[R^2]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42758] Re: Sqrt[R^2]
  • From: "Dana DeLouis" <delouis at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Just something slightly different.  In Mathematica 5, one can use
"$Assumptions".  Here, all single small letters are assumed to be >=0.

$Assumptions = (Symbol[#1] >= 0 & ) /@ CharacterRange["a", "z"];

Simplify[Sqrt[b^2]]

Simplify[Sqrt[s^2]]

Simplify[Sqrt[z^2]]

I am not sure, but from help menu on "Assumptions" ..."Variables in an
inequality are implicitly assumed to be real."  Therefore,  I don't believe
you need to use ? \[Element] Reals. (but I may be wrong)

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP
delouis at bellsouth.net