Coverting 3D graphics to 2D raster WITHIN Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41736] Coverting 3D graphics to 2D raster WITHIN Mathematica
  • From: "Gareth J. Russell" <gjr2008 at columbia.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:13:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

I have generated an image using Graphics3D primitives, and now I want to
acquire the 2D, rendered version of that image (for investiagting some
image-matching routines).

An easy but slow way is to Export to disk as GIF or similar, and then to
Import from disk into a Raster object. Is there a way to do this that
avoids the disk?

There are suggestions in the Help Browser about exporting to, and
importing from, pipes, which sounds like a way to go, but I can't seem
to make it work.

Gareth Russell
Columbia University