Re: Numerical Optimization of Expensive Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41856] Re: Numerical Optimization of Expensive Functions
  • From: UHAP023 at alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 00:08:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kyriakos Chourdakis <k.chourdakis at qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear all,

> I am planning to optimize a function f of about 10 variables which under a
> constrint set c, where:
> 1.	f is *very* expensive to compute [one function evaluation in Mathematica takes
> about 10 mins]
> 1a.	f cannot be computed very accurately [only the first 5-6 sig digits are
> reliable, with f in the 1000-10000 scale]
> 2.	The derivatives are unknown in closed form and have to be computed
> numerically
> 3.	The constraints are linear
> 4.	The Hessian matrix is required on completion

> I know of the packages NPSOL and LSSOL which are designed to deal with such
> problems. They are implemented in FORTRAN77.

> A.	Do you know of such an implementation for Mathematica?
> B.	Is it possible to use the F77 versions of the packages to solve the
> problem? Is there a way of calling the F77 subroutines from Mathematica? I do not
> have the Fortran90/95 compilers, only g77.

Have a look at donlp2 by Peter Spellucci. Its available in Fortran and
compiles under g77. It will numerically calculate the derivatives if
required, apply constraints and O/P the Hessian. Compiled, on an
optimising Fortran compiler ought to be much faster than Mathematica. On a
different tack, if symbolic manipulation is not needed to evaluate the
function, could you use Compile[] in Mathematica?

Hope this helps
Tom.

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email:  T.Crane at rhul.ac.uk
Fax:    +44 (0) 1784 472794