Re: Averaging

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41991] Re: Averaging
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:56:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 6/11/03 at 3:49 AM, bhatya21 at hotmail.com (C B) wrote:

>Three repetitions of an experiment were carried out. The data is copy
>pated below. I hope the main contributors on this email list are able
>to import this data into a spread sheet program and have a look at it.
>If you are not let me know and I should be able to send that data to
>you in some other format of your preference.
>
>In the data,
>
>X coordinate is 'Time' expressed in minutes. Y coordinate is 'Gas
>concentration' expressed in PPM.
>
>If you look and plot the data for all the repetitions, you will see
>that all the plots are not exactly the same. The difference is mainly
>due to the inherrent errors and variance factors in any experiment.
>
>What I am looking for is a mathematical tool or a treatment or some
>way of coming up with one data set representing the average effect of
>all the three repetions.

First, you have to decide what aspect of the data is important.

Plots of the data show a slow variation of gas concentration followed by a larger sharp peak. Is the peak response the most important feature? Then simply averaging the max values of each run should suffice. Perhaps it is the time the peak response occurs that is most important. Or perhaps the integrated response. What tool or treatment is best depends on what aspect of the data is important.