MathGroup Archive 2003

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Systems of ODEs

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42047] Systems of ODEs
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:43:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everyone,

I have been solving systems of ODE's with Mathematica recently, and have developed a few questions.  To begin with, all the systems of the form A'[t]==C1 A[t]+C2 B[t], B'[t]==C3 A[t]+C4 B[t], and the coefficients (C1, C2, C3, C4) are completely symbolic.  The DSolve method worked very well when the problem was simply a system of 2 equations:

Simplify[DSolve[{P'[t]==k A[t]+k B[t]+k C[t],A'[t]==k A[t],B'[t]==k B[t],C'[t]==k C[t],P[0]==0,A[0]==A0,B[0]==B0,C[0]==C0},{P[t],A[t],B[t],C[t]},t]]

However, when the system is complicated by adding equations and difficulty to the symbolic coefficients, the calculation takes an extreme amount of time (Calculation was let run for about 70 hours without crashing on a 1.8mHz P4 with 512mb of RAM until i stopped the calculation).  The system that caused this long of a calculation was as follows:

Simplify[DSolve[{P'[t]==k1 A[t]+k2 B[t]+k3 C[t],A'[t]==(-k1-k12) A[t]+k21 B[t],B'[t]==(-k2-k21-k23) B[t]+k12 A[t]+k32 C[t],C'[t]==(-k3-k32) C[t]+k23 B[t],P[0]==0,A[0]==A0,B[0]==B0,C[0]==C0},{P[t],A[t],B[t],C[t]},t]]

Is there some trick to making such complicated systems solve without having to devote an entire weeks worth of computer time to it? 
   The only other method that I know to solve them would be to use the eigenvector/eigenvalue form to solve first order systems such as this one.  The only problem there is that when I calculate the Eigensystem of the coefficient matrix, the output is nearly 50 pages long.  It seems like it would be too much work to copy and paste 50 pages of eigenvectors and eigenvalues into V*e^(\[Lambda]*t) where V=eigenvector and \[Lambda]=corresponding eigenvalue, and then put all the results into the form of the fundamental matrix.  Perhaps there is a built-in command for taking the output of the Eigensystem command to a fundamental matrix for the solution of a first order differential system.
   Any input would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

-Paul Ellison

• Prev by Date: Re: help with 3D scatter plot
  • Next by Date: Re: Extracting Re and Im parts of a symbolic expression
  • Previous by thread: Re: Re: ack! simple partitioning problem making my head swim....
  • Next by thread: Re: Systems of ODEs