MathML Question in 4.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42117] MathML Question in 4.2
  • From: "Dana DeLouis" <delouis at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.  I would like to ask for some help or understanding on Mathematica's
MathML ability.  I have done a lot of web searching, but no luck.  The
Archive's talk about some Conference a long time ago and that is about it.
The Information Center only had two articles on how neat this feature could
be.

In Mathematica 4.2, I do a File, Save As Special, and select XML (Notebook
ML) or XML (NotebookML + MathML).  The Current file name does not change,
and Mathematica does not add an extension onto the filename that I give it.
Without an extension, programs do not know what this file is.

My question is, when using a Web development program like Front Page, how do
I insert this file without an extension into Front Page?  I have done all
the correct importing, but apparently, there is something missing to tell a
web page how to display it.
I think I am missing a little piece of the puzzle, so any pointers would be
great.

Perhaps there is a major bug right off the bat because Mathematica does not
know what extension to give the file?

Help says one can also select some cells and do an Edit - copyAs - MathML.
However, I get a long list of the same error...

"An unknown box name (List) was sent as the BoxForm for the expression.
Check the format rules for the expression."

This indicates to me a Major problem with this feature.

Some articles said that the current version of Internet Explorer do not
display MathML.  Perhaps that is another Major problem.

The only thing that comes close to working is to save as HTML + MathML.
However, text has square boxes between words.  It almost gets an integral
correct, but it is just not readable.

Basically, what is the proper way to take advantage of Mathematica 4.2 and
import a Mathematica file into Front Page?  Thank you very much for any
assistance.  Just a pointer in the right direction would be all I need.  As
far as I can tell, it just does not work.

Instead of the File Menu, I tried something along this line, but don't know
what to do with the file in Front Page.  Any importing that I have done into
Front Page is just garbage.

Export["DEMO.xml", SelectedNotebook[], ConversionOptions ->
   {"StyleSheets" -> {"type" -> "text/css", "href" ->
"css/presentation.css"}}]

Thank you very much.
Dana
Mathematica 4.2
(And Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6)