Appending data to a existing file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42133] Appending data to a existing file
  • From: Torsten Klaiberg <torsten0077 at gmx.de>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:57:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear users,

the following situation: I have only a very slow computer with small RAM
size. But many spectra to analyze. From each  spectrum I get 10 values.
This values I append to a List. After 10 spectra analyzed I save the
data with Export["dummy.dat",List,"Table"] in the file dummy.dat. But.
Export[] does not append the data to the file, it writes it new every
time. So I cant clear the List. I have to hold all the data in the List
therefor in RAM. But while the List growth Mathematica gets slower and
slower. Thats why I need a function which appends data to a file. Has
someone an idea?

Thank you.
Torsten