Re: Minimization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg42275] Re: Minimization
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carlw at u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

John,

Here is a version which is a bit faster on my machine than Hartmut's, where
I use pts instead of l1.

pts[[Ordering[Plus@@((Transpose[pts]-p0)^2),5]]]

The improvement in speed comes from using

Plus@@((Transpose[pts]-p0)^2)

instead of Hartmut's

With[{r=#-p0},r.r]&/@pts

Further improvements in speed may be achievable if you use Compile.

Carl Woll
Physics Dept
U of Washington