Calling Install[] from packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg39929] Calling Install[] from packages
  • From: "Lawrence A. Walker Jr." <lwalker701 at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 02:28:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi group:

Todd Gayley's Mathlink tutorial is very helpful.  Mr. Gayley has
explained the advantages and disadvantages of either (1) package code
de-embedded in external (Mathlink'd) programs, or (2) calling external
programs from within the package (*.m).

I chose the latter in my present project.  I have encountered a
situation when package A runs package B via the Need[] command. Package
B then links to the external program C.  Since package B is ran
automatically, a user could attempt to run package B again.  The context
handling functions appears to work ok in this case. However, a duplicate
link of the external program is setup.  In other words, Install[] is ran
again.  I desire that package B test to see if a link to the external
program is already set up.  If it is then don't install the external
program.

Does anyone know of a way to handle the situation so that external
programs are linked to as needed?

Thanks,
Lawrence

--