Functions with multiple groups of arguments? [David Park?]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40031] Functions with multiple groups of arguments? [David Park?]
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:48:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In a recent message on Mathematica programming, David Park included a
sample function definition in a form I've never encountered before,
namely

    f[a_,b_,c_][x_]  := a + Sin[b x + c]

What is this?  How does it work?  (I can guess, but don't seem to find
anything about this in the Help files to confirm my guess)

Given the same values of a, b, c and x, does this form work differently
in *any* way from

    f[a_,b_,c_, x_]  := a + Sin[b x + c]

If not, why do it this way? Or is the only reason for doing it this way
one of cosmetics?

???

--
"Power tends to corrupt.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Lord Acton (1834-1902)