RE: FindRoot problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40043] RE: [mg40032] FindRoot problem
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:33:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Robert,

I think that RootSearch is just a more robust algorithm that FindRoot, which
is probably pretty old code. There have been a number of postings to
MathGroup about FindRoot where RootSearch solved the problem. People should
be aware of it and WRI might even consider including it in the standard
distribution.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Pigeon, Robert [mailto:Robert.Pigeon at drdc-rddc.gc.ca]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Thanks David,
	It works!  But, I would like to understand why Mathematica's
FindRoot is not working when the function has conditions!
BTW, my real equation had, as second condition, x<= 1.535, and when I
applied RootSearch with 1.54 as upper limit, it finds just the first root
(1.4811).  So the conditions apply with the search!  That is great !

Robert