RE: Q: About Needs[] and something about Contexts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40151] RE: [mg40142] Q: About Needs[] and something about Contexts
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 04:12:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Peter,

This is not a totally responsive answer but a piece of advice. I would
always put packages in directories that are intended to hold packages.
Namely I would put them in AddOns\ExtraPackages or AddOns\Applications.
Mathematica automatically knows how to find them there. If you put them
somewhere else, and you intend that other people  use the package, then they
are going to run into the same problem that you just ran into. If people
can't load your package there is little chance they will use it.

It is best if a package is set up so that it loads and behaves just like the
Mathematica standard packages. Some beginners have enought trouble in just

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Peter W [mailto:pewei at algonet.se]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

If I want to use a package (say mypack.m) in a library not in  the
$Path, placed in some arbitrary library say: D:\putte\kelso how do I
tell Mathematica4 using Needs[], to load it?
I have tried lots of combinations e.g.
Needs["D:\\putte\\kelso" , "mypack`" ] etc.... etc....
And also consulted the help database and the mathematica book.

I know I can move the package to e.g. ...D:\progs\mma401\AddOns witch is
in the $Path but that is not the issue here.
I use Mathematica4 Win Nt4.0 .
Ideas?

Best regards
Peter W