Re: a little more complex list operation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40251] Re: [mg40237] a little more complex list operation
  • From: Gary.Anderson at frb.gov
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 04:29:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Function[xx,Through[{f[#[[1]]]&,g[#[[2]]]
&}[xx]]]/@{{x1,y1},{x2,y2},{x3,y3}} could do the trick.

                    Nathan Moore
                    <nmoore@physic        To:     mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
                    s.umn.edu>            cc:
                                          Subject: [mg40251]     [mg40237] a little more complex list operation
                    03/27/03 06:49
                    AM

Thanks very much for all the previous replies.  Another simple question -
though I guess this will require more complex syntax.  Suppose I have the
list,

data = {{x1,y1},{x2,y2},{x3,y3}}

and I want to produce the result (for fitting/plotting)

data2 = {{f[x1],g[y1]},{f[x2],g[y2]},{f[x3],g[y3]}}

I assume that if there was only one transform I wanted to apply, f[x],
then I could say
           data2 = f[data]
but how about this more complicated transform with functions f and g?

again thanks!  Your replies have been very helpful!

Nathan Moore, University of Minnesota Physics