Re: Mathematica newbie question : NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40273] Re: Mathematica newbie question : NDSolve
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 05:19:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <b5hcc8$m0j$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> In article <b5efsh$675$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
>  sriramr at asdl.gatech.edu (Sriram Rallabhandi) wrote:
>
> > I'm new to Mathematica. I'm using the following code to solve a
> > bi-harmomic PDE in two parameters u,v. The final output is the 3D
> > coordinate values: x[u,v],y[u,v],z[u,v]. I get the error attached even
> > though i have the boundary and initial conditions specified.
> > Can someone point me in the right direction??
>
> Presently, NDSolve is not capable of solving such problems.

I should also mention that you could use the

   Calculus`VariationalMethods`

package. You need to supply a judiciously chosen trial function that
satisfies the boundary conditions and depends on a set of variational
parameters.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul