Re: Need a nice way to do the "left count"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40302] Re: Need a nice way to do the "left count"
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <selwynh at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:14:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

For what it's worth, I get a 4X speed-up by not using PrependTo, and a
minor improvement by using Block instead of Module within Scan:

countdiffs[s_List] := Module[{members, totals, g, j},
     members = Union[s];
     totals = Count[s, #] & /@ members;
     j = Length[s];
     Scan[Block[{i = First@First@Position[members, #]},
           g[j] = j - totals[[i]];
           totals[[i]]--; j--] &, Reverse[s]];
     Table[g[i], {i, Length[s]}]]

But it's still much slower than drBob's brilliantly incomprehensible
code :^)

---
Selwyn