Re: typing/formatting multi-part definition with alignment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41081] Re: [mg41067] typing/formatting multi-part definition with alignment
  • From: Bobby Treat <drmajorbob+MathGroup3528 at mailblocks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 05:00:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Pull up the BasicTypesetting palette and click on the pattern that
looks like a bracket followed by two vertically stacked boxes.  Push
Ctrl+, to add a second column (for the conditions, perhaps) or
Ctr/+enter to add a row if needed.  In these boxes you can put the
right-hand side of the display you want.

If you replace the "{" with a parenthesis "(" it will automatically
increase in size to fit the rows.  If you want to use "{", select the
cell and open the Options inspector with Ctrl-shift-O.  Search for
SpanMaxSize and change the option value to Infinity.  (Why we'd ever
want it to be anything else, I have no idea!)  The resulting cell
shouldn't be evaluated, of course.

To get a clue what's going on, put your cursor in the cell and press
Ctrl-shift-E.  (That's a toggle, so do the same thing to get back to
normal.)  That gives you a template that could be used to create such
displays via code.  (Eventually.)

Bobby