Re: Calculating Gradients of Vector Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41172] Re: Calculating Gradients of Vector Functions
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 06:02:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <b8qopq$847$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Stepan Yakovenko <yakovenko at ngs.ru> wrote:

>   Is it possible to calculate gradients of complicated vector
>   functions in R^N ?

Yes.

>   For instance:
>
>   \vec \nabla |\vec r| = \frac{\vec r}{|\vec r|}.
>
>   (I don't assume that r is 3D vector)

At http://w3.pppl.gov/~hongqin/computerAlgebra.htm you will find reference to
a Mathematica Symbolic Vector Analysis package developed by Hong Qin. I
have made a  few minor changes to his Package (correcting some
formatting bugs) and put his Package, Notebooks, and PDF files at

  http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/Mathematica/Calculus/

I suggest putting GeneralVectorAnalysis.m into a folder called Calculus
in the directory returned by evaluating $UserAddOnsDirectory.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul