RE: Show and GraphicsArray and DisplayFunction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41268] RE: [mg41260] Show and GraphicsArray and DisplayFunction
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 03:49:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jerry,

I think it is just a feature of Mathematica and GraphicsArray.

In the first case you are making the plot and THEN showing it. Mathematica
has to be told not to display the first time.

In the second case Mathematica is making the plots only once but arranging
them in an array. At least that is a way to think of it.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Blimbaum Jerry DLPC [mailto:BlimbaumJE at ncsc.navy.mil]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Here is something I have always been curious about....

Suppose I make two plots :

p1=Plot[f[x],......,DisplayFunction->Identity]

p2=Plot[g[x],.....,DisplayFunction->Identity]

If i combine them with Show ,i have to do this:

Show[p1,p2,DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction];

but if I show them in GraphicsArray format....i can exclude the
DisplayFunction command....

Show[GraphicsArray[{p1,p2}]]......this outputs the plots...admittedly, as 2
separate plots, but still....

why the difference in terms of the need for  DisplayFunction....?

jerry blimbaum   NSWC  Panama City, Fl