Apart, Factor on different operations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41293] Apart, Factor on different operations
  • From: Paolo Bientinesi <pauldj at cs.utexas.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 04:20:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
here is what I am trying to do:

let op[x,y] be a binary associative operation but not commutative,
say Dot:

op[x_, y_ + z_] := op[x,y] + op[x,z]
op[x_ + y_, z_] := op[x,z] + op[y,z]

op[x_, y_] := x.y

and let

term = x + y;

now,

exp = op[term, z]

is

x.z + y.z

So far so good.

What I am trying to do is to go back from
x.y + y.z to op[term, z] by means of pattern matching:

exp /. term -> X

is the operation I have to perform, expecting

X.z

but of course it doesn't work.

If I were using the common Times operation instead of Dot
I could achieve the result using Apart or Factor:

Apart[ x z + y z ] /. term -> X

returns

X z

Does anyone have an idea?