Re: Spirals and arc length

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41284] Re: [mg41271] Spirals and arc length
  • From: David Terr <dterr at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 04:18:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

DIAMOND Mark wrote:

>Please excuse the double posting, but I am interested in both the
>mathematics and a Mathematica approach to the following problem.
>
>Simply put, I wish to find the polar coordinates of a point that has been
>moved along a spiral arc.
>If I have a point (theta0,r0) on a spiral r=a Exp(b*theta), and I travel
>along the spiral arc some distance (delta), then what are the polar
>coordinates of the new point?
>
>I would really like a few different things if anyone can help; not
>necessarily in priority order ...
>(1) a simple expression for the answer;
>(2) an explanation that I can follow and apply to a spiral of a different
>form, say Archimaedian or hyperbolic;
>(3) a Mathematica approach to *deriving* the appropriate expression.
>
>This may be too much to ask, but I have tried tackling the problem myself
>and even having read the mathworld entries on the various spirals (and
>arc-length), I'm not sure where to begin.
>
>Cheers,
>
>--
>Mark R Diamond
>Vision Research Laboratory
>The University of Western Australia
>email: FirstNameFollowedbySurnameInitialAtpsy.edu.au

I don't think Mathematica is the best tool for solving this problem. To
do so, the best place to start is the arc length formula in polar
coordinates: ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2. Integrating this formula over
a curve given in polar coordinates gives you its length. I think you'll
find it isn't too hard to do so for the spirals you're interested in.

David