Re: Spirals and arc length

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41340] Re: Spirals and arc length
  • From: "Narasimham G.L." <google.news.invalid at web2news.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 04:03:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> Simply put, I wish to find the polar coordinates of a
> point that has been moved along a spiral arc.
First draw a differential triangle consisting of ds,dr and r dth
opposite to the fundamental angle si. Divide out each side by dth to get
s' , r' , and r ; tan(si)=r/r' ; sin(si)= r/s' ; this is common approach
for any spiral in polar coordinates.
For Logarithmic spiral b=cot(al); al=si = constant at all points;
 r= a E^ b.th ; r'= r. cot(al);
1/s'= sin(al) E^(-cot(al).th)/a ;
integrate to get s= a sec(al)[E^(cot(al).th-1] with proper boundary
condns
As an exercise try sin(si)/r =1/a =1/s', integrate to get all circles
through the origin. If you succeed, I believe you got what u wanted.
HTH