Re: SelectedNotebook[ ] under Mac OSX gives wrong answer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41444] Re: [mg41427] SelectedNotebook[ ] under Mac OSX gives wrong answer
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 03:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

My guess is that you probably want to use InputNotebook[] instead of
SelectedNotebook[].  On other operating systems, it is possible to select
a notebook which will not take keyboard input; palettes would be the most
common case of this.  This is useful for targeting the option inspector
and using the Generate Notebook From Palette command, but all other
commands and keystrokes go to the InputNotebook[] (i.e. the notebook
currently accepting keyboard input), not the SelectedNotebook[] (on a side
note, this seems terribly inconvenient for palette developers, and it is,
but the idea is to make life easy for users of palettes, not developers of
palettes).

Because MacOS X has special rules about how palette windows work and
doesn't allow you to "select" palettes in the same way other OS"s do, a
problem occurs in figuring out how to compute SelectedNotebook[].  We're
trying to figure out what to do; if you really needed to be able to
manipulate palettes as well as regular notebooks, I'm afraid you'll have
to find some means other than SelectedNotebook[] to do it.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group