RE: TraditionalForm output and subscript variable

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41521] RE: TraditionalForm output and subscript variable
  • From: Bobby Treat <drmajorbob+MathGroup3528 at mailblocks.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 01:04:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here's a relevant link:

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2003/Apr/msg00716.html

After evaluating

MakeExpression[SubscriptBox["a", i_], f_] :=
  MakeExpression[RowBox[{"a", "[", i, "]"}]]
MakeBoxes[a[i_], f_] :=
  SubscriptBox[MakeBoxes[a, f], MakeBoxes[i, f]]

you can type a[n] or Subscript[a,n] (either way), and the output will
format with subscripts, but the value will always be a[n].

As a bonus, the output of

a[2]Cos[x]

or

a_2 Cos[x]

is now in the order you wanted, because "a" sorts before "Cos".  Of
course, if you do the same thing with a variable name that sorts after
Cos -- you can guess what will happen.

Bobby