Re: slowing down on windows XP

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41540] Re: [mg41506] slowing down on windows XP
  • From: schmedes at rz.uni-potsdam.de
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 05:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear all,

i found the error myself, but i don't understand it, perhaps can you help me.
Calculating synthetic catalogues i had to calculate 1000's of tensors. For this
i used a modul of the following form:
MT[...]:=Module[{mt,m},
mt=Array[m,{3,3}];
..
m[i,j]=...
Return[mt];
]
Every time the modul was called, he kept the Array in the memory such that it
was full after enough calls of this modul (after every call the tenors was
summed to a summation-tensor and should not stay in memory). But why does this
happen??
Now i use:
MT[...]=Module[{m},
Return[Table[m[i,j],{i,1,3},{j,1,3}];
]
The arguments of MT are real numbers (angels). Is it possible to make this modul
faster using another structure??

Thanks for your help

Jan Schmedes