Plot3D, how to plot only certain regions of a surface...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41616] Plot3D, how to plot only certain regions of a surface...
  • From: bhirtz at student.ethz.ch
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:13:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi everybody,

I have a problem that I don't seem to be able to solve myself in a
clean way:

I have a function f1=f(x,y) and I plot it with Plot3D within the
plotrange (0.01, Automatic). There is another function f2=f(x,y). Now,
I would like to plot f1 only in those regions where f2 is positive. I
did it like that:

f3=If[f2>0, 1,0];
Plot3D[f1*f3,{x,xmin,xmax},{y, ymin,
ymax},PlotRange->{0.01,Automatic}]

This basically works. However, Mathematica draws vertical surfaces
where f1 is clipped (i.e. from the local values of f1 to zero),
although all zero values are not plotted due to the plot range
{0.01,Automatic}.

Those vertical surfaces simply look somewhat ugly.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Barbara