Re: N[ ] function problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41615] Re: [mg41607] N[ ] function problem
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:13:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Actually it all works "as advertised", just you have to read the small
print ;-)

Although

In[1]:=
N[Pi,12]

Out[1]=
3.14159

It in fact is a floating point number with "formal" precision:

In[2]:=
Precision[%]

Out[2]=
16

Note, 16, not 12 and not 6.
However, to see more digits you have to use NumberForm:

In[3]:=
NumberForm[N[Pi,12],12]

Out[3]//NumberForm=
3.14159265359

If you really want a number with 12 digits of precision (with all that
implies) you have ot use SetPrecision:

In[4]:=
SetPrecision[Pi,12]

Out[4]=
3.14159265359

No need for NumberForm this time.

In[5]:=
Precision[%]

Out[5]=
12

By the way, this behaviour was actually one of the changes that were
made in transition form v. 3 to 4. Presumably it was meant to help
distinguish floating point numbers from low precision "extended
precision" numbers. As it seems to be confusing to many people it may
well be changed again.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Yokohama, Japan
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/