RE: Beginner question: operating on piecewise defined functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41625] RE: [mg41609] Beginner question: operating on piecewise defined functions
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 08:13:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jan,

There are several approaches and I am not certain which is the best.

Needs["NumericalMath`NLimit`"]

Clear[f];
f[x_] := 1/x^2 /; x >= 1
f[x_] := 1 /; x < 1

NLimit[f[x], x -> Infinity]
0.

Usually with piecewise functions it is better to use UnitStep than multiple
definitions. Then the calculus functions will work. But apparantly not
Limit.

Clear[f];
f[x_] := 1 - (1 - 1/x^2)UnitStep[x - 1]

We have to do the following to obtain an answer.

Limit[FullSimplify[f[x], x > 1], x -> Infinity]
0

Or you could use this...

Limit[f[x] /. UnitStep[expr_] :> UnitStep[expr /. x -> Infinity],
  x -> Infinity]
0

I'm not certain why Mathematica can't perform the simplification, for simple
cases at least, by evaluating the UnitStep at the limit.

If we use NLimit with the UnitStep definition we obtain a residual quantity.

NLimit[f[x], x -> Infinity]
-2.220446049250313*^-16

which you could eliminate by using Chop.

Of course, with your specific function you don't really need to use the
Limit routine. With either definition you could just use...

f[Infinity]
0

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Jan Rychter [mailto:jan at rychter.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

If I define a piecewise function as, say:

f[x_] := 1/x^2 /; x >= 1
f[x_] := 1 /; x < 1

then how can I get Mathematica to operate on it, as in:

Limit[f[x], {x->Infinity}]

Just trying that returns the expression unevaluated, even though
defining:

g[x_] := 1/x^2

and trying:
Limit[g[x], {x -> Infinity}]