Re: More integration/ fullsimplify bugs in Mathematica 4.1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41667] Re: [mg41651] More integration/ fullsimplify bugs in Mathematica 4.1
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 03:56:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> Well, we all know integration in 4.1 and also 4.2 is far from perfect.
> But with 5.0 just about to be released (and rumor has it that
> integration has been much improved) now may not be the ideal time to
> report these bugs. After all we know that nobody will be fixing these
> old versions, so I think it would be more profitable to wait and check
> if the bugs are still present in 5.0.

In that case maybe we should not report bugs in 5.0 either because
as everyone knows, any such bugs might be fixed in 5.1, which will come
out a month or two later. :)

My guess is that this bug has to do with simplification of special
functions. Integration is involved only because it produces these
functions in its answers.

I assume that WRI would prefer to hear about bugs in their current
program as soon as they are found, and then they can test their new
version.  Waiting in silence and hoping that the new release will fix
bugs is hardly "profitable".
Cheers,

RJF