Re: Mathematica shows wrong numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg41688] Re: Mathematica shows wrong numbers
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 06:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 5/30/03 at 3:56 AM, mueller.fab at gmx.net (Fabian M¸ller) wrote:

>In the Mathematica Notebook I type "x^3" followed by "Shift + Enter".
>Mathematica's output is "x^9".

Is this a typo? If you typed x^3 Mathematica should be outputing x^3 not x^9.

>Now I copy this "x^9" from the Mathematica Notebook into this mail.
>The result is: \!\(x\^3\).

>Why is my Mathematica not able to show the "3" in the exponent?

Mathematica can show the 3 in the exponent. But how it is displayed will depend on how you have your output display preferences set. Go to the Cell menu and under Default Output Format Type select TraditionalForm.  This will tell Mathematica you want output formatted as you would normally see in a math text.