Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44336] Re: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <luttrell at _removemefirst_westmal.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:01:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

1. Don't use input cells for your running text. To display maths in running
text use a text cell and embed the maths as an inline cell embedded within
this text cell. You can start an inline cell by putting the cursor anywhere
in a text cell and doing "Ctrl 9" (or Edit | Expression INput | Start Inline
Cell).

2. It may be that the page properties are such that there is not enough room
for the plot left on the current page (even though there IS enough room
according to your eye). Have a look at File | Printing Settings | Page
Setup...

3 & 4. You have overridden the default fonts in your cells. If you want to
make global changes then it is best to edit the style sheet. This is done
via Format | Edit Style Sheet ..., and select "Import Private Copy" to
ensure you don't edit the master copy.

If you want to have a standard set up for writing a paper for publication
you could start with the "Article Classic" or "Article Modern" style sheet
(reached from the Format | Style Sheet | ... menu). Use Text cells as your
default. Embed inline maths using inline cells in the text cells. Use
Numbered Equation or Display Formula cells for equations, and convert these
cells to TraditionalForm using Cell | Convert To | Traditional Form in order
to get the maths to display in a nice format (i.e. rather like LaTeX would
produce, but in a different font). For multi-line equations you can lay
things out in a controlled way by inserting a GridBox in the equation (you
find this looking like an empty 2x2 matrix on the Basic Typesetting Palette
reached from the File | Palettes | ... menu), and you plug whatever you want
into the empty gridbox cells ... and I could go on and on ... I find
Mathematica can do everything I want in writing technical papers, but it's
just not documented in a way that helps you get started quickly!

--
Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

news:bo7oud$aj1$1 at smc.vnet.net...