Re: Re: Fluid dynamics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44555] Re: [mg44530] Re: Fluid dynamics
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:58:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think, at this point, this dispute is essentially about philosophy.
Are discrete models approximations of continuous reality or continuous
models of a discrete one?
Actually, it's only a part of the problem. In economics and finance the
situation is clearer: there is no doubt that "the reality" in this
field is discrete but continuous models dominate since they are both
much easier for humans to handle and can be used to reduce the
complexity of the problem one is trying to solve before the final
"discretization" is made for the purpose of computation. I have been
wonderting myself if cellular automata could be useful in this field,
but as far as I can tell they suffer form the same problems as other
discrete models. But then I am sure I have not given this matter enough
thought.

Andrzej