Re: Antw: pdf-export

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44590] Re: Antw: pdf-export
  • From: "Peltio" <peltio at twilight.zone>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 03:38:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Paul Abbott" wrote

>> And yet I wonder whether in Wolfram they ever considered the option of
>> turning the MathReader into a MathWriter [snip]

>Well, there is Publicon
>  http://www.wolfram.com/products/publicon/

I should have browsed more carefully WRI's website : ].
So it seems that not only they thought about it, but considered it a valid
opportunity to market a new product.

>Actually, I've wondered if there would be a market for a nice simple
>equation editor based on just the typesetting component of Mathematica
>that interfaced directly with Word and could be used as an equation
>editor for Web applications ...

Sounds like a MathML code generator, with Mathematica's frontend...
It'd be even better: indeed, there are too many gifs in the websites
that have to do with math.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking of a commercial product, but of a free
writer without the kernel that could create only nb files.
Files that could be later processed (in case the author put some code
in it, or just to convert'em to other formats such as PDF, TeX or XML)
only by the owners of Mathematica. Even without the enhanced editing and
exporting facilities of Publicon it would have been a killer in the world of
math typesetting, spreading Mathematica's syntax and front-end around.
Probably too much of a killer : ).
Surely the folks at Wolfram 'evaluated' that a new (value-added) commercial
product was a better choice than a free program, despite its potential to
attract new users (I am talking about the engineers who does not even know
what Mathematica is) and to make the NB format the equivalent of PS or PDF.
After all, who should know better than the people who run the business?

cheers,
Peltio
Invalid address in reply-to. Crafty demunging required to mail me.