Re: Improper integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44652] Re: Improper integral
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 04:59:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

More on this theme: can somebody explain what the concept of a
"principal value" of an integral is good for? I have been a
professional mathematician for years and have been involved in several
different areas of research, and yet never came across any use for it.
I have more then a dozen texts on analysis yet none of them mentions
it. The only books where I can find it mentioned are books for
physicists and engineers (one is the well known text by Riley, Hobson
and Bence, the other a book in Polish) and they both give one line
definitions without any examples of use (and do not mention poles at
infinity). At first sight it seems a pretty trivial and useless
concept, so I would like to know if it really has any serious
applications.

Andrzej Kozlowski