Re: simple vactor magitude question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43771] Re: simple vactor magitude question
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at cern.ch>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 02:04:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Assuming p is a simple list, something like
p={1,2,5}
then the list index should start at zero (unlike the C programming
language).

In Mathematica, there is usually no need to loop over an index with the
advantage that this kind of error can be avoided.  Other ways to get your
result might be

p.Range[Length[p]

or

Plus@@MapIndexed[Times[#1,First[#2]]&,p]

The latter method readily generalises to more complicated examples.

John Jowett

news:blj5e0$1dv$1 at smc.vnet.net...