Re: Discrete Fourier Transform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43863] Re: Discrete Fourier Transform
  • From: Mariusz Jankowski<mjankowski at usm.maine.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:54:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Catherine,

Fourier[x] gives you N=Length[x] Fourier coefficients. The resoution is 1/N Hz or 2 Pi/N radians per second (assuming, of course, that the samples of the time series x are spaced 1 second apart). To change the resolution pad the sequence with zeros:

Fourier[PadRight[x, M]]

For more details consult any modern undergraduate EE textbook on signals and systems, such as Oppenheim, or Haykin, or Carlson.

Mariusz