Re: $CommandLine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43891] Re: [mg43864] $CommandLine
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 03:06:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Peter Dickof wrote:

> According to the help file, "$CommandLine is a list of strings giving
> the elements of the original operating system command line with which
> Mathematica was invoked. "
>
> I have been unable to find the following:
> 1) What exactly do the individual strings mean?
> 2) What are the "elements" allowed for an operating system command?
> 3) How is it possible to use $CommandLine to pass in arbitrary
> strings?
>
> Can anyone point me to this information?

The value of $CommandLine is meant to be a read-only setting.  It
analogous to the argv[] argument of the main() function in a C program.
For example, here is the value of $CommandLine for a kernel which was
launched on a Windows system.

In[1]:=
$CommandLine

Out[1]=
{C:\Program Files\Wolfram\

   Research\Mathematica\5.0\MathKernel.exe, -mathlink,

  -mathlink, -linkmode, connect, -linkname, hcg_shm}

Usually the parameters passed on the command line will not be of any
meaning to an end user, but it may prove useful in diagnosing technical
problems with getting a kernel connected to another program.
--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.