How do I get Timing results in Out[]//<Message>?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43917] How do I get Timing results in Out[]//<Message>?
  • From: Scott Centoni <scentoni at iis.ee.ethz.ch>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:33:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I remember reading a very neat tip on how to get Timing[] wrapped around
every evaluation by default, and the results printed out in the blue
Out[123]= line for each output cell in the notebook so that it doesn't
clutter up your output.  I think I remember reading this tip in The
Mathematica Journal, but I can't find it.  Do any of you know what I'm
referring to?

Note that this is rather like

In[54]:=
IdentityMatrix[4]//TableForm

Out[54]//TableForm=
        {{1, 0, 0, 0},
         {0, 1, 0, 0},
         {0, 0, 1, 0},
         {0, 0, 0, 1}
         }

and completely different from the following trick at the support web
site to put the timing in the status line, the lower left corner of the
window:

> How do I get Mathematica to display the timing of an evaluation in
> lower-left corner of my notebook?
>
> You can have the timing of each evaluation displayed in the
> lower-left corner of a notebook by going to the Option Inspector and
> adding the value "ShowTiming" to the option
>
> Notebook Options|Evaluation Options|EvaluationCompletionAction

(http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/interface/customize/displaytiming.html)

which I find almost useless because as soon as your 5-minute evaluation
finishes, it's timing is overwritten by the one after it, which only
takes 0.04 seconds.

Thanks,
Scott