Re: Bizarre phenomenon

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43929] Re: Bizarre phenomenon
  • From: nafod40 <noneya at business.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 04:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve Gray wrote:
> 	I edited, ran, and saved a file "Separate-New.nb" containing
> the following code segment.
>
> nn = 5;
> makmota;
> ptab = {0, 0, 0, 0};
> qtab = {3, 4, 4, 3};
> rtab = {0, 2, 3, 4};
> stab = {3, 2, 3, 1};
> qloop;
>
> 	This code worked. But when I closed Mathematica, restarted it, and
> opened a supporting file and then Separate-New.nb, the word "qloop"
> mysteriously had something almost  invisible between the q and the l.
> The same thing happened in a very similar line below this one, but not
> on a third very similar line. These three function names are in
> boldface and highlighted in green.

The notebook interface is amazingly buggy when it comes to using
anything other than the most mundane typesetting. You use variable fonts
and mathematical typesetting in the same function at your own risk, for
example. The translation to *.m files is very problematic. Could be the
source of your problem here.