Using multiple reference to the same object

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44116] Using multiple reference to the same object
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:15:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I've come across a rather puzzling situation involving multiple references
to objects I've created using the Class package from Dr. Maeder's _Computer
Science_ /with Mathematica/ book.  I created a 3D List of objects using
points=Table[new[myPoint, parent,i,j,k],{i, x0, x1}, {j, y0, y1}, {k, y0,
y1}] where points is a member of parent.

In the constructor for myPoint, I append the new instance to a List in
parent, called 'elements'. myPoint has a setColor method which I call like
this: setColor[points[[i]][[j]][[k],RGBColor[0,0,1]].  I also have a
getGraphics method in parent which does getGraphics&/@elements, where
getGraphics[myPoint] returns {color,Point[{x,y,z}]}.

Now, here's the rub: when I use the getGraphics method, I get back a list of
points all with the default color RGBColor[1,0,0].  If I explicitly do a
getGraphics[points[[i]][[j]][[k]], I get a blue (RGBColor[0,0,1]) point
back.  There are clearly two different point objects, one in the elements
List, and one in the points List.

What I want is the kind of behavior I get with C/C++ & Java arrays where I
can reference the same object from multiple references.  There may be a way
to do this using the Class package, but I'm interested in knowing if there
is a native Mathematica approach to doing the same thing.

Someone may have already given me an answere to this general question, and
it just didn't sink in.
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...