Re: AW: Chaos from times series- Hearst Exponent

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44205] Re: [mg44168] AW: [mg44162] Chaos from times series- Hearst Exponent
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:53:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Matthias.Bode at oppenheim.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> about ten years ago there was an article cum .nb (published in the former
> MATHEMATICA JOURNAL) to calculate the Hearst Exponent of a time series; I
> understood this exponent to give a degree of "chaosticity" in a time series.
>
> Perhaps somebody still disposes of these ancient and recondite documents - I
> did not find them in the mathgroup archive.
>
> Best regards,
> Matthias Bode
> Sal. Oppenheim jr. & Cie. KGaA
> Koenigsberger Strasse 29
> D-60487 Frankfurt am Main
> GERMANY
> Tel.: +49(0)69 71 34 53 80
> Mobile: +49(0)172 6 74 95 77
> Fax: +49(0)69 71 34 95 380
> E-mail: matthias.bode at oppenheim.de

Possibly you are looking for

(1993) Korsan, Robert. "Decisions, Uncertainty, and All That:
Fractals and Time Series Analysis". The Mathematica Journal 3(1) 39-44.

You can get to the abstract here:
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Articles/1849/

You can download the electronic supplement here:
http://www.mathematica-journal.com/issue/v3i1/

I clicked on TMJ-3.1.zip, unzipped in a convenient temporary directory,
and in a subsubdirectory I found HURST.m among other things.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research