Mathematica Wish-List

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg44214] Mathematica Wish-List
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:53:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There are a few features/improvements I would like to see in Mathematica.
Some of them are 'nice to have', a few are features which I really
believe /should/ be available. In the following I will attempt to indicate
which are more important to me. I'm running on Linux.

An OOP package. (nice to have)

A better crash recovery facility whereby the most recent state of the
notebook can be recovered. (This is _very_ important.)

A better front end on Unix/Linux - ditch motif. (I hate motif! But that's
personal)

There are other features I'd like to see, but these are the most important i
can come up with.  I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on these, as
well as what other features would be good to have.

I understand that Mathematica doesn't have the income of Microsoft, and
features such as these are expensive to produce.  One thing I will say to
that is the following: I used to work at a DoD research center that did one
of the earliest roll-outs of Windows NT in a full enterprise environment.
Before NT was up to the task, the government poured huge amounts of money
into Microsoft's coffers by buying licenses, they/we also provided an
incredible amount of beta testing and product feedback for free.

Now Mathematica may not be as potentially ubiquitous as Windows NT, but the
value a product such as Mathematica adds to the overall long-term
production potential of society is huge. Am I suggesting the government
should subsidize Mathematica development? Well...yes.
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...