Re: Mathematica 5.0 for students.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg43535] Re: [mg43520] Mathematica 5.0 for students.
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:41:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

While I run the "regular" Mathematica and not the student versions, I
routinely run both version 4.2.1 and 5.0 not only on the same machine,
but sometimes even at the same time, and I see no difficulty doing that.

Definitely you want the two versions intstalled to different directories.

If you have some packages that you now put into the Addons /
Applications subdirectory of the main Mathematica 4 directory, you can
make a  copy in the corresponding Mathematica 5 subdirectory.

Or, set environment variable (in Windows, MATHEMATICA_ADDONS) to an
entirely new and separate directory, say MathematicaAddOns, that's
outside the top-level directories of either version 4 or version 5; then
make an Applications subdirectory inside that and put your packages in
there.  Either version of Mathematica should be able to find them
automatically (that is, load them by means of a context-qualified path,
e.g., Needs["MyCalculus`Graphs`"].