Re: Re: Infrequent Mathematica User

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47293] Re: [mg47244] Re: Infrequent Mathematica User
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 03:31:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Actually one can use Paul's argument to prove the following stronger
statement:

Sum[(Subscript[x,i]/(1 + Sum[Subscript[x,j]^2, {j, i}]))^2, {i, n}] < 1

for every positive integer n.

It is easy to see that this implies the inequality in the original
problem (use Schwarz's inequality). Moreover, the proof is easier since
the inductive step is now trivial.In addition, the inequality  leads to
some intriguing observations and also to what looks like a bug in Limit
(?)

  The inequality implies that the sums, considered as functions on the
real line, are bounded and attain their maxima. So it is natural to
consider the functions f[n] (obtained by setting all the Subscript[x,i]
= Subscript[x,j)]

f[n_][x_] := NSum[(x/(i*x^2 + 1))^2, {i, 1, n}]

It is interesting to look at:

plots = Table[
     Plot[f[n][x], {x, -1, 1}, DisplayFunction -> Identity], {n, 1, 10}];

Show[plots, DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction]

The f[n] of course also bounded by 1 and so in the limit we have the
function:

f[x_] = Sum[(x/(i*x^2 + 1))^2, {i, 1, Infinity}]

PolyGamma[1, (x^2 + 1)/x^2]/x^2

which also ought to be bounded bu 1.

Plotting the graph of this, e.g.

Plot[f[x], {x, -0.1, 0.1}]

shows a maximum value 1 at 0 (where the function is not defined),
however Mathematica seems to give the wrong limit:

Limit[f[x],x->0]

-°

?

Andrzej Kozlowski