Re: Programming style

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47613] Re: Programming style
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:15:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Like you I am (or was) an experienced procedural programmer (Fortran, C,
Basic, etc). It took a while for me to get used to the functional approach
of Mathematica, but once the penny had dropped there was no going back. I
wince when I look at the (procedural style of) Mathematica that I used to
write in the early days. I could not imagine now giving up using the
functional programming style because it is so well matched to my way of
thinking (i.e. scientist/mathematician). In fact, I would go so far as to
say that my style of thinking has improved since I became aware what
functional programming was.

Steve Luttrell

<lorenzo.keegan at handbag.com> wrote in message
news:c5qj4q$fvh$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hello,
>
> I am an experienced computer programmer having used ADA, C, Visual Basic
> etc. for years.
>
> Recently I bought the book "Mathematica - A Practical Approach", where
different
> styles of programming are discussed, namely
> Functional programming versus Procedural programming.
>
> The book seems to suggest that most Scientist and "professional"
Mathematica