Re: Re: Programming style

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47654] Re: [mg47608] Re: Programming style
  • From: schmitther at t-online.de (Hermann Schmitt)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:19:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Programming Method
The Mathematica users like to speak of functional programming as their
programing method. But most of them do not adhere to the functional method
as it is described as a programming method in the literature. Other
programming languages use functions, too, and I think most of the users in
reality use the procedural programming method.
What makes stand out Mathematica are the powerful functions it has. But that
is only a gradual difference compared with other programming languages.
Object oriented programming is often considered an alternative to the
procedural programming method. But in the case of Mathematica I see the
object oriented method more as a source of additional functionality, which
does not alter the programming style fundamentally.
At least in the case of my implementation (see: www.schmitther.de), oo
brings a new kind of packages, which - in combination with the oo system
software -, offers new functionality. As in the case of the standard
Mathematica packages the creator of the package and the users of the package
will often be different persons.
Hermann Schmitt