Matrix expansion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47722] Matrix expansion
  • From: "Larry Caruso" <lcaruso at tds.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:30:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a large, square matrix where each m[[ i, j ]] is populated with f [
i, j ], which happens to be a list {dx, dy}. At some later date, having
collected more data, I want to expand matrix this to a larger square matrix
using the same f [ i, j ] without losing any previously stored information.
Since the matrix is huge, regenerating it takes far too long, so I want to
simply add on the new data. I've tried experimenting with AppendRows[] and
other routines, but they only operate on non-lists. As far as I can
determine, using a C compiler with Mathlink may be my only option where I'm
regenerating the matrix from scratch as quickly as possible instead of
adding only new data.

Are there any other reasonable possibilities? Thanks.